The European Commission has calculated that bio-based products and biofuels currently represent €57 billion in annual revenue in the European Union, with the sector employing over 300,000 people. Bio-based products and services – either wholly or partly derived from materials of biological origin (excluding fossilised material) – are expected to present strong growth opportunities for Europe in the coming years, contributing to sustainable reindustrialisation and growth, as well as addressing societal challenges, particularly for rural areas. As bio-based products are based on renewable raw materials, they can contribute to CO2 reductions, lowering the European Union’s reliance on fossil fuels.
Greenovate! Europe supports the development of biobased materials, processes and products, whilst considering sustainability throughout their lifecycle. Our expertise covers research into these sectors as well as life-cycle assessment, market analysis, business development and dissemination and communication. We have worked in a number of bio-economy projects:
- ProBIO – Professional support to the uptake of bioeconomy R&D results towards market, further research and policy for a more competitive European bioeconomy
- ECO-SEE – Eco-innovative, Safe and Energy Efficient wall panels and materials for a healthier indoor environment
- EuroPruning – Development and implementation of a new, and non-existent, logistic chain on biomass from pruning
- ISO-BIO – Development and demonstration of highly insulating construction materials from bio-derived aggregates
- ButaNexT – Next Generation Bio-butanol
- Bio4Products – 4x4, demonstrating a flexible value chain to utilise biomass functionalities in the processing industry
- BIOrescue – Enhanced bioconversion of agricultural residues through cascading use
- ADVANCEFUEL - Facilitating market roll-out of RESfuels in the transport sector to 2030 and beyond
See our bioeconomy project videos below.