The Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy (ATB) is an internationally renowned non-university research institute, operating at the interface of biological and technical systems. ATB conducts basic and applied research contributing to food security, animal welfare, holistic use of biomass and the protection of the climate and environment. Their 250 staff members are based in Potsdam, Germany.
ATB’s research is organised within three cross-departmental programmes:
- Precision farming in crop and livestock production. Including the development of sensor-based technologies for Precision Agriculture and Precision Horticulture, and measures for the reduction of emissions from animal husbandry;
- Quality and safety of food and feed. Developing solutions for the entire chain from primary production, handling, processing, and storage through to consumption;
- Material and energetic use of biomass. Developing efficient technologies for converting renewable raw materials and agricultural waste into valuable bio-based products and fuels.
The ATB has a powerful research infrastructure at its disposal, including: a pilot plant for producing biochemicals (eg. lactic acid); pilot plant for processing plant fibres; biogas laboratory; biochar laboratory; boundary layer wind tunnel; freshness lab; a centre for drying; and 50 ha experimental research sites.
In the field of knowledge and technology transfer, ATB offers comprehensive services to industry partners:
- Preliminary and feasibility studies;
- Assessment of bio-economic production systems;
- Simulation and modelling;
- Development of prototypes and product samples;
- Scientific support for the transfer (measurements, process optimisation and consulting);
- Utilisation of analytical equipment;
- Assistance in product and process developments in ATB application labs;
- Intellectual property and exploitation issues within cooperative framework.
Max-Eyth-Allee 100, 14469 Potsdam, Germany
Contact for research cooperation issues: Dr. Christiane von Haselberg
Phone +49 331 5699 811